- Continent: Asia
- Area: 9,572,420 km²
- Population: 1,349,585,838
- Capital city: Beijing
- ISO code: CN
- National language: Mandarin
- International dialing code: +86
- Currency: Yuan Renminbi
- License plate number: CHN
- Flight routes from China: 19659
- Flight routes to China: 22267
- Popular airports: Beijing (BJS), Shanghai Pudong (PVG), Guangzhou (CAN), Beijing (PEK), Shenyang (SHE), Hefei (HFE), Hangzhou (HGH), Wenzhou (WNZ), Changchun (CGQ), Baishan - Changbaishan (NBS)
- Large cities: Shanghai, Beijing, Wuhan, Chongqing, Chengdu, Tianjin, Shenyang, Harbin, Guangzhou, Nanjing, Taiyuan, Changchun, Changsha, Jinan, Dalian
- Airlines based in China: Air China, China Eastern Airlines, China Southern Airlines, Beijing Capital Airlines, China United Airlines, Tianjin Airlines, Chengdu Airlines, China West Air, Joy Air, Hainan Airlines, Loong Air, Ruili Airlines, Spring Airlines, Okay Airways, Xiamen Airlines, Shanghai Airlines, Hebei Airlines, Sichuan Airlines, Shandong Airlines, Tibet Airlines, Lucky Air, China Express Airlines, Chongqing Airlines, Kunming Airlines, Shenzhen Airlines, Juneyao Airlines, Guangxi Beibu Gulf Airlines, Air Guilin, Urumqi Air, Fuzhou Airlines, Donghai Airlines, Yangtze River Express, Yunnan Hongtu Airlines, Jiangxi Air, Air Changan, Colorful Guizhou Airlines, Grand China Air
China travel guide (Asia)
The Peoples Republic of China, with a population greater than 1.3 billion, is the most densely populated country on earth and home to about 20% of the world’s population. Since its founding in 1949 it has been governed by the Communist Party of China. The name China and Sino most probably originate in the Chinese word for the Qin-Dynastie (Pinyin: Qin, pronounced Tschin). The word made its way to Europe along the silk road via many languages.
The Peoples Republic of China includes the entire geographical and cultural area which is known as China, excluding Taiwan and a few small islands in front of the coast of Fujians.
The political status of Taiwan is still a point of contention: the island is governed from the Republic of China (also known as National-China). The terms mainland China and red China tend to be used in this context and are used to designate VR China with the exception of the two special administrative areas of Hong Kong and Macao. The country is governed by the dictatorship of the Communist Party of China (CPC).
China shares borders with 14 states, no country has more neighbours: Afghanistan, Bhutan, India, Kazakhstan, North Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Vietnam.
The country is not only separated from its neighbours by politically created borders but its Borders are also determined by natural geological boundaries: in the east and the south-east by oceans: the Yellow Sea, the East China Sea, and the South China Sea); in the south, south-west and north-west by high mountain ranges and in the north by steppes and deserts.
The total area of China is about the size of the USA or the whole of Europe to the Ural, and comprises almost 10 million square kilometres. This means that the physical area, climate and the living conditions for humans also vary considerably from region to region. In the west a continental climate with cold winters and hot summers predominates, with tropical to sub-tropical weather in the south. Only Tibet boasts a high-mountain climate.
The most important rivers are the Yangtze (long river) and the Huáng Hé (yellow river), also the Mekong, Pearl river, Brahmaputra and Amur. Due to the topography of the country, most of the rivers flow from west to east, this means from high lying regions with sparse rain to low lying regions with abundant rainfall.
Peking or Beijing as it is now normally called (Běijīng), the capital of China is the political and cultural centre of the country and has over 15 million inhabitants. As a result of its long history spanning more than 3000 years, a particular type of cultural world heritage is to be found here. Interesting tourist destination is Tiananmen square (the square of heavenly peace), the Forbidden City and Imperial Palace, the Summer Palace and numerous and countless temples.
The largest building in the world is also to be found in China: Wànlĭ Chángchéng (the long wall of 10,000) spanning well over 6300 km (20669 ft) is another tourist highlight. The Chinese name of the Great Wall of China comprises a measure of length: 10,000 Li are equivalent to about 575 m, but as 10,000 in Chinese is the term for infinity, the name in actual fact signifies “unimaginably long wall". The most visited section is in the area of Badaling being easily accessible by bus and train from Beijing.
Other important cities include Shanghai, Wuhan, Chongqing, Xi’an, Chengdu,Tianjin, Shenyang, Harbin.
The Peoples Republic of China is an atheist state. At present the majority of Chinese do not confess to belonging to any particular religion. No official statistics exist about religious affiliation.